Annual Vote: May 18, 2021
Holding the Line on Taxes, Investing in our Future
During its April 21 meeting, the Board of Education adopted an approximately $38.3 million budget for the 2021-2022 school year that will be presented to voters on Tuesday, May 18. The proposal calls for no increase to the tax levy while overall spending would increase by 2.27%.
Voters will be asked to select three of four announced candidates to serve on the Board of Education. Current Board member Todd Freelove has declined to run for another term.
Also, a proposition to purchase three new buses and funding measures for the Clifton Springs Library and Phelps Community Memorial Library will be on the ballot. The District hosts the vote for the libraries but the actual funding does not impact school taxes. Additional details can be found using the links below.
» ANNUAL VOTE Q&A: Responses to commonly asked questions
» SUPERINTENDENT'S MESSAGE: State and federal aid set the state the stage
» BOARD PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE: Budget proposal invests in our future
» PROPOSED STATE AID/FEDERAL STIMULUS ALLOCATIONS
» BOARD OF EDUCATION CANDIDATES: Four running for three open seats
» MIDLAKES JOURNAL: May 2021 annual vote edition
*SPECIAL NOTE: A District plan would use federal stimulus funding, and not general budget funds, to add one reading teacher to help address learning gaps created by the pandemic.*
Budget Proposal: 0% Tax Levy Increase
» BUDGET: $38,310,998
» TAX LEVY INCREASE: 0% over 2020-2021
» STATE AID: +$917,499 over 2020-2021
» OVERALL SPENDING: +2.27%
» RESERVE SPENDING: $990,496 ($94,504 less than 2020-2021)
» BUDGET HEARING: A budget hearing will be held in the Midlakes High School Auditorium at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, May 10.
» OTHER PROPOSITIONS:
- Spend $392,951 to purchase three (3) 65-passenger buses.
- Elect three (3) board members
- Funding for community libraries
» VOTER INFO: Per NYS, those voting on campus must wear a mask and complete a temperature check as part of a COVID-19 Health Screening. A separate ballot and drop box will be available for those unable to follow health and safety protocols.
- IN-PERSON VOTING: Noon to 9 p.m., Tuesday May 18, Midlakes Middle School Gymnasium, 1550 Route 488.
- ABSENTEE BALLOTS: An absentee ballot application (available through 5 p.m. on Monday, May 17 at District Office) must be completed to receive an absentee ballot. Absentee ballots are due to the District Clerk by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, May 18.
» FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact District Clerk Krystal Plante at (315) 548-6420 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To adopt the annual budget of the School District for the fiscal year 2021-2022 and to authorize the requisite portion thereof to be raised by taxation on the taxable real property of the District.
- To elect three members of the Board of Education to three-year terms, commencing on July 1, 2021 and expiring June 30, 2024.
- Shall the Board of Education be authorized to expend up to $392,951 for the purchase of school buses, to be paid from the Bus Purchase Reserve Fund.
- A separate proposition shall be on the ballot for approval of an increase in the annual appropriation for the Clifton Springs Library in the amount of $84,000, and an increase in the annual appropriation for the Phelps Community Memorial Library in the amount of $84,000.
Board Candidate Info
The terms of Board of Education members Tracy Altman, Todd Freelove, and Amber Wilkes expire on June 30, 2021. All three seats carry three-year terms. Mr. Freelove has decided not to run for another term.
Budget Development Calendar
The development of the 2021-2022 budget will follow a process similar to recent years. Presentations on specific departments/areas will be presented to the Board in advance of the presentation of the overall budget for consideration by the Board. View the 2021-22 budget development calendar. Additional resources can be found below.
District residents qualify to participate in the Phelps-Clifton Springs Central School District vote, according to state law, provided they are:
- A U.S. Citizen
- At least 18 years old
- A district resident for at least 30 days
*There are no property requirements to vote.