Universal Prekindergarten (UPK) is a state-funded program open to four-year-olds entering kindergarten the following school year. The program is a collaborative effort between the Phelps-Clifton Springs Central School District and Happiness House.
- To be eligible for the 2019-2020 school year, your child must be 4 years old by December 1, 2019. Please include a copy of your child’ birth certificate with the completed enrollment packet.
- Families must live in the Phelps-Clifton Springs Central School District. Please provide proof of residency; this can be a copy of an NYSEG bill, water bill, mortgage statement, lease agreement, or tax receipt.
- There is no charge for the UPK program.
- UPK classes are half-days Monday-Friday (9-11:30 a.m. and 12:45-3:15 p.m.).
- The program must be provided with a current (within a year) physical and immunization records.
- Wraparound daycare is available to a limited number of children on a first-come, first-serve basis at $70/week.
- If students are placed in the morning class and are NOT in the afternoon wraparound program, transportation will be provided to the school by the district with parents being responsible for transportation home at 11:30 a.m.
- If students are placed in the morning class and ARE enrolled in the afternoon wrap program, transportation will be provided to the school and back home by the district.
- If students are placed in the afternoon session, parents are responsible for transportation to school at 12:45 p.m. and transportation will be provided home by the district.
The UPK program provides a developmentally appropriate preschool program and implements the New York State Education Department English Language Arts and Mathematics Modules. It incorporates Second Step, a social-emotional curriculum that promotes positive peer interaction skills and increases self-awareness. Also, the New York State Pre-kindergarten Foundations for the Common Core are used to guide lessons and prepare students with the skills and knowledge needed to be ready for kindergarten.
To apply for the Universal Prekindergarten Program, complete the Enrollment Packet and include a copy of your child’s birth certificate, proof of residency, current physical, and immunization records. Children will not be considered "registered" until all required documents have been received. Placement letters will be sent to the parent or guardian in August. Enrollment packets can be picked up in April, in the Main Office at Midlakes Elementary School, 1510 State Route 488, Clifton Springs, NY 14432. Please return completed packets to the Elementary School and put the attention of Jill Rogers.
For other questions or the Enrollment Packet, contact Jill Rogers at (315) 548-6719 and firstname.lastname@example.org.