The NYSDOH has determined that Wrestling is a high-risk sport (Least ability to maintain physical distance and/or be done individually; least ability to: (1) avoid touching of shared equipment, (2) clean and disinfect equipment between uses by different individuals, or (3) not use shared equipment at all).
- No handshakes prior to and following the coin toss in addition to pre-and post match ceremonies.
- Wash stations or sanitizer should be placed at mat side.
- If writing implements are used, they should be sanitized and not shared with anyone.
- Disinfect the mats prior to competition.
- Participate/host smaller events (more duals, fewer large tournaments).
- Have hand sanitizer and wipes available at the scorer's table.
- The scorekeeper shall be the only individual to touch the scoresheet.
- Only official scorer and official timer should be permitted at the scorer's table.
- Ankle bands are recommended to be disinfected after each match.
- Weigh-ins should be conducted separately for each team and not shoulder to shoulder as stated in the NFHS rule. (Waiver of NFHS Rule approved by NYSPHSAA Officers 1-25-2021)
- Honor weigh-ins will not be permitted for the 2020-21 season (Waiver of NYSPHSAA Rule approved by NYSPHSAA Officers 1-25-2021).
- Weight Certification, NYSPHSAA will provide further guidance no later than January 29th.
Considerations for Officials:
- Officials are responsible for meet management, which does not include monitoring activities in the facility such as social distancing, face coverings, hand washing, symptoms of illnesses and other such issues. This monitoring obligation remains with the responsible parties.
- Bring personal hand sanitizer. Wash hands frequently.
- Do not share uniforms, towels and equipment.
- Change standard whistle several times during the day.
- Electronic whistles are permissible.
- May wear disposable gloves. If so, then they must change after each match.
- Conduct separate pre-meet administration including skin checks. During pre-meet administration, use visual inspections and avoid direct contact with wrestlers.
- Referees will not raise the winner's arm; winners are asked to raise their arm signifying victory.
Considerations for Coaches:
- Communicate your guidelines in a clear manner to students and parents.
- Consider conducting workouts in "pods" of same students always training and rotating together in practice to ensure more limited exposure if someone develops an infection.
- Keep accurate records of those athletes and staff who attend each practice in case contact tracing is needed.
- Eliminate all handshakes, fist bumps and similar gestures post-match.
Considerations for Students:
- Eliminate all handshakes, fist bumps and similar gestures pre-and post-match.
- Eliminate handshakes with coaches post-match.
- Consider making each student responsible for their own supplies.
- Students should wear their own appropriate workout clothing (do not share clothing), and individual clothing/towels should be washed and cleaned after every workout immediately upon returning home.
- Hand sanitizer should be plentiful at all contests and practices.
- Bring your own labeled water bottle.
Considerations for Parents:
- Provide personal items for your child and clearly label them.
- In accordance with NYSDOH guidance (Interim COVID-