Midlakes Library Media Center
The library is open from 7:30 a.m. to 2:55 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 7:30 a.m. to 2:14 p.m. Fridays. Students may check out as many as three books for three-week periods. Books may be renewed as needed as long as there is not a waiting list for the title.
The Midlakes Middle and High School Library Media Center teaches students to be effective users of information by focusing on how to read, comprehend, and analyze information effectively to prepare students to be life-long learners.
This mission is accomplished by:
- Providing instruction in information literacy
- Providing intellectual and physical access to informational materials in a variety of formats and media
- Stimulating interest in reading and in finding and using information and ideas
- Promoting the use of the media center by students and faculty
- Working with teachers to develop educational strategies to meet the information needs of students and to augment teaching
- Supporting the school's curriculum and reading initiatives
Useful Digital Resources
The following list contains popular links of interest to staff and students at Midlakes Middle School and Midlakes High School School. Many of these links direct users off Midlakes' website. Feel free to find books in the High School Library, and in other libraries, by using Gateway to Books.
- Follett Destiny is a web-based browser providing access to the library's catalog and digital content.
- Midlakes LibGuides: Online resources assembled by the Library Media Center.
- Copyright-friendly resources: A list of photographic, audio and video resources.
- New York Online Virtual Electronic Library: NovelNY provides communities across New York State online access to texts of journals, newspapers and other reference materials.
- New York State Library: Access databases by using a driver's license or public library card to log-in.
- OWWL Access at Pioneer Library System: Find titles and other media in public libraries located in Ontario, Wayne, Wyoming, and Livingston Counties. Print out information and give to Mr. Purcell for an interlibrary loan.
- SchoolCat: Search for titles in the school libraries of the entire Rochester area. Print out information and give to Mr. Purcell for an interlibrary loan.
- W-FL BOCES School Library System Union Catalog: Search for titles in all school libraries within the Wayne Finger Lakes BOCES. The form is similar to the district's own search screen. Find a book and go to "details" on the left side and print out the information about that book. Give the printout to Mr. Purcell for an inter-library loan.
- Welcome to Sora! Open a world of reading. The reading app that allows students to discover and enjoy eBooks and audiobooks.
- WorldCat Catalog: Find the library materials you need regardless of location within the Rochester region. Print out information and give to Mr. Purcell for an interlibrary loan.
- 24/7 Research Databases: High-quality informational sources for use. Most have remote access. (Ask the library for the password list.)