Bill of Rights for Data Privacy & Security
The Phelps-Clifton Springs Central School District is committed to protecting the privacy and security of student, teacher and principal data. In accordance with Education Law § 2-d, the District wishes to inform the school community of the following:
1. A student's personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes;
2. In accordance with FERPA, Section 2-d and Board Policies, parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child's education record;
3. State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
4. The New York State Education Department collects a number of student data elements for authorized uses. A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State is available for public review from the State Education Department. Websites and mailing addresses will be made public when they become available.
5. Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed by submitting a complaint in writing,to: Lydia Schadler,1490 State Route 488, Clifton Springs, NY 14432. The information above is provided while the District awaits further guidance from the State Education Department regarding data privacy and security issues.
This document should not be considered a full and final parents bill of rights.